In 2012, to address flooding issues nationally, the Office of Public Works (OPW) commissioned and completed Catchment and Flood Risk Management (CFRAM) studies covering the entire country reviewing 300 flood-prone sites. An output of the flood study identified 118 at risk areas, including Buncrana and Luddan, and the associated impacts of flooding. The plan also set out the measures and policies to be pursued in order to achieve the most cost effective and sustainable management of flood risk.
Following the launch of the CFRAM Study findings, as part of the Government’s National Development Plan 2018-2027, almost €1 billion was committed to investment into flood relief measures across the country.
Subsequent to this commitment, a steering group was established between the OPW and Donegal County Council to progress a flood relief scheme to alleviate the risk of flooding for community of Buncrana and Luddan. In May 2021, ByrneLooby were appointed Engineering Consultants, and Environmental Consultants, to develop a scheme that is technically, socially, environmentally and socially acceptable.
Click here to see how this community was assessed.
(You will be redirected to the Floodinfo.ie website)
The following are a selection of webpages which provide additional information on flooding, flood risk management and other associated helpful information. These links are provided for information only. Please note that ByrneLooby is not responsible for the content of external websites.
- Catchment Flood Risk Assessment and Management Studies – www.floodinfo.ie
- Flooding.ie – http://www.flooding.ie/
- Donegal County Council –
- Office of Public Work- http://www.opw.ie/en/
- Met Eireann – http://www.met.ie/
- National Flood Hazard Mapping – http://www.floodmaps.ie/
- National Parks and Wildlife Services – http://www.npws.ie/
- Realtime Water Level Monitoring -http://waterlevel.ie/
- OPW memorandum of Understanding with Insurance Agencies - https://www.opw.ie/en/completed/